Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a serious mental health issue. Abbreviated as “GAD”, the problem refers to constant tendency of worrying about different things in life. It could be about work & finances or marriage or relationships or family and so on. Life is stressful and we end up worrying about particular issue at times. For example, it’s normal to fret out about finances when your business is down. But people who suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder worry about everything and anything always. More precisely, they are incapable of checking their fear or anxiety even when they know the phobia is almost baseless.
What are the causes of GAD?
The exact reasons that trigger GAD are still not known. But according to studies, family background, biological factors and life experiences, especially distressing ones- are often responsible for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. The possible causes behind the problem are:
- Genetic issues or history of GAD in family
- Differences in the brain chemistry & function
- Prolonged or recent exposure to distressing situations
- Childhood abuse
- Excessive intake of tobacco or caffeine
Who is affected?
Anybody may suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder. However, the symptoms of GAD are observed more in women compared to men. In fact, as per studies, women are 2x more prone to experience GAD than men. Moreover, it has also been seen that GAD issues are mostly found in teens and middle-aged people.
Symptoms of GAD
Generalized Anxiety Disorder can be identified by a set of both physical and psychological and physical symptoms-
- Trouble in sleeping
- Muscle ache or muscle tension
- Trembling of hands and legs
- Profuse sweating over unnecessary fear or worries
- IBS or diarrhoea and nervousness
- Persistent and undue anxiety or worries on different things
- Being fearful of certain events and situations when these are exactly not
- Overthinking of plans
- Assuming worst-case outcomes for no such logical reason
- Excessive anxiousness in dealing with uncertainties
- Extreme indecisiveness out of fear of worse outcome
- Restless feeling
- Difficulty in focusing
- Frequent blank out moments
What are the remedies & medications?
Patient suffering from GAD are usually referred for psychological counseling and psychotherapies like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. In fact, CBT is considered as the most efficient psychotherapy for GAD issues. The therapy works by unfolding the problems or past experiences that have led to excessive anxiety and fear among the patient. Then, it guides the patient with the strategies on effectively managing the worries at a rational level- so that they can gradually get back to a normal relaxed mental state.
Doctors also prescribe certain medications for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. These include antidepressants from SSRI & SNRI classes as well as anti-anxiety medications. Then, some doctor also advice for Benzodiazepines such as valium. Most GAD patients are prescribed to Buy Valium 10 mg as the sedative relieves the patient from acute anxiety issues for a considerable time.
Patients are even advised to abstain from alcohol and tobacco as both the substances fuel the anxiety issues even further.