Do you know why body parts swell up? They can swell either from injury or inflammation. In medical terms, this swelling is known as edema. Edema can be caused to any body part, either to a small area or an entire body part. Sometimes, medical problems lead to edema while in some cases, medications too can have similar side effects. Injury and infections are also likely causes of swelling.
In fact, there are many other medical problems that can cause edema and irrespective of the cause, it is important to consult a specialist and get the appropriate treatment. This also happens when the extra fluids in the tissues build up which ultimately causes the swelling. Bandaging is a helpful way to treat edema and reduce the swelling gradually. In fact, it is always advised to use compression bandage to treat the edema.
Furthermore, when you use an elastic bandage, it reduces the flow of blood within the area of impact. This is how edema is controlled and the swelling is treated. This kind of bandaging is used in treating sports injuries and inflammation. This is why the compression aspect comes into play while treating injuries.
Edema and elastic bandage
Elastic or stretchable bandage is used for treatment of edema. This type of bandage is available in different sizes to suit people across age groups. It’s recommend by health specialists to treat swellings in any part of the body. It delivers results due to its compression feature.
Here is how elastic bandage helps in the treatment of edema –
- It limits the blood flow in a wounded area
- Helps support a splint on the body
- Helpful for bringing compression to the area
Needs to be wrapped tight around the wound to provide the pressure
- Perfect for pressing the area even without cutting off the circulation in a complete manner
- Available in different materials for varying level of stretch-ability and compression
- They are available in grades to impart varying levels of compression quality
- Very important tool of first-aid kits
- Used to apply even pressure around the area
- Perfect for sprains, strains and other similar injuries
Features of an elastic bandage
We know elastic bandages are used a lot due to their compression features which is beneficial for the treatment of swelling. They are a high-quality product and support the region around the wound for maximum benefits.
Here are some of features of elastic bandages –
- Support bandaging in strains and sprains
- Mostly made of cotton, polyester and elastic yarn
- Offer varying level of compression based on the material of the bandage
- Available in different grades to support all types of needs
- Made to provide consistent pressure all over the wound to help in the control of swelling
- Help to retain splints and dressing
- Can be used to retain ice or cold packs for better compression and superior results
- Offers prophylaxis against sport injuries
- Fit for acute and chronic edema
- Ideal for swelling arising out of any type of injury or inflammation or infection
- Suitable for people across all age groups and support in the treatment of swelling of any nature